Before I buy

Before I buy

Postby reverson1 » May 9th, 2012, 9:32 am

I have a 2010 Chevy Cobalt w/Onstar w/o Pioneer and, if it matters, my phone is a Galaxy Nexus. This seems to be exactly what I have been looking for, but I have a few questions that I'm hoping can be answered before I buy this.

1. I'm confused about music streaming.
      Does bluestar have to use eiher the 3.5mm port or usb port?
      Is there any way for the radio to display the song information? How about podcasts?
      How is music streaming started?
    2. Are there instructions, hopefully with pictures, for installing this in a 2010 Cobalt? I'm concerned with messing something up and voiding my warranty.
    3. Will I be able to voice dial like the stock bluetooth allows me to? Example: Hold mute until prompted, say call nametag
    4. Will this use the android phonebook? Right now, the nametags have to stored in the car - seperate from my phone...
    5. Are there any real world videos of this being used?

Thanks for the help,
Richard
reverson1

Re: Before I buy

Postby reverson1 » May 10th, 2012, 11:59 am

1. Ok, it seems that I've been able to answer part of #1 the 3.5mm port is required for stereo music. I'm guessing that the song information would be shown on the radio similar to how OnStar shows directions.

2. There are instructions for the 2009 Cobalt, but not the 2010. http://www.costartech.com/pb/Vehicle%20 ... 202009.pdf Are these the same for the 2010 cobalt? If I purchase this, will it come with installation instructions for my car?

3 & 4. From what I understand, the voice dialer on the phone is used. In my case, my phone contacts are used.

I would really appreciate it if someone could clear up any misconceptions that I may have.

Thanks
Richard
reverson1

Postby BOAKS » May 11th, 2012, 12:19 am

reverson1 wrote:
    1. Ok, it seems that I've been able to answer part of #1 the 3.5mm port is required for stereo music. I'm guessing that the song information would be shown on the radio similar to how OnStar shows directions.

2. There are instructions for the 2009 Cobalt, but not the 2010. http://www.costartech.com/pb/Vehicle%20 ... 202009.pdf Are these the same for the 2010 cobalt? If I purchase this, will it come with installation instructions for my car?
    No, individual installation instructions are not set with the kit. The 2009 Cobalt SHOULD work or be very similar.

3 & 4. From what I understand, the voice dialer on the phone is used. In my case, my phone contacts are used.
You can either use the voice dialer on your phone or just type the numbers or contact like if you were using your phone

I would really appreciate it if someone could clear up any misconceptions that I may have.

Thanks
Richard
BOAKS

Postby reverson1 » May 11th, 2012, 7:33 am

Thank you! I was starting to wonder if anyone was here or not.

I'm guessing that the song information would be shown on the radio similar to how OnStar shows directions.

Is this correct? Does a2dp work or is it hit or miss?

Thanks again
Richard
reverson1

Postby mrcostar » May 11th, 2012, 7:46 am

Hi Richard,
A2DP is in beta testing currently. Track information requires AVRCP support from the phone and most phones do not yet support this level of information.
MR. COSTAR
mrcostar
Site Admin

Postby reverson1 » May 11th, 2012, 8:18 am

Thanks for the quick reply.

I realize that the steering wheel controls should work, but do the controls on the radio (next/prev/rew/fwd) also work?
So, if I bought this now, it would be reasonable for me to expect that a2dp support would be finalized at some point in the near future?

EDIT:
If I order this through amazon, will everything that I need to install it in my 2010 Cobalt be included?

Thanks again
Richard
reverson1

Postby reverson1 » May 11th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Well, I went ahead and ordered this.
reverson1

Postby reverson1 » May 26th, 2012, 6:24 pm

So, far so good. However, there are two things that I'd really like to have:

1) Have the next/prev buttons on the steering wheel change the tracks
    2) Have the song information show up on the radio
reverson1

Postby reverson1 » May 30th, 2012, 9:17 pm

Well, seems that I'm unable to receive a call. If I do, the I can't hear the caller and they can't hear me. Also, quite frequently when this happens I have to manually reset the bluetooth on the phone in order to get to do anything. Fwiw, the phone still says that it is connected.

Outgoing calls seem to work fine, but the voice dialer is very quiet. Not sure why...

Other than what I've already mentioned, a2dp works great. I have a ground loop isolator on order that hopefully will help with the interference. Which I guess is coming from the 3.5 cable.
reverson1

Return to BLUESTAR 2010