Outgoing Audio Problem

Outgoing Audio Problem

Postby cnauman » March 17th, 2011, 7:47 am

I left myself a message this morning and it sounds like I'm under water and echoes pretty bad, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of my calls. Is there a setting I can change to help with this? I noticed a microphone gain option in the software, would it help to turn this down? Currently it's set to '0'.

Thanks for any advice.
cnauman

Re: Outgoing Audio Problem

Postby Sledbc » March 20th, 2011, 11:18 am

I am having the same problem, people are having a hard time hearing me, they say it is muffled sounding. I just got my Bluestar the other day. I have a 2007 GMC Sierra SLT and a Samsung Galaxy S Android phone. Is there any adjustments or software upgrades to fix this?
Sledbc

Postby cnauman » March 21st, 2011, 3:14 pm

I was able to use the configuration utility to make it a little better by sliding the values for mic and output to the lowest setting, but honestly it still sounds pretty bad. I have to talk very clear and a little slower than normal for it to be tolerable (at least in my opinion). My wife hates it when I call her on it right now, but says she can understand me... needless to say the conversations are short, which I guess saves minutes. :lol:

Would love a fix though, the unit is almost perfect.

PS
If you need a moderator to help with the spammers let me know.
cnauman

Postby mrcostar » March 21st, 2011, 6:30 pm

It's best NOT to mess with the OUTPUT GAIN setting. This is correlated to the VOLUME setting in the STATUS menu and will change in a weird way if modified from the 0 default setting. I should really remove that adjustment from the CPU, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

The MIC gain though can and in many cases should be lowered way down. Most find that somewhere between -12 and -24 gives the best sound, but this is dependent on many factors including cell, vehicle, service provider, and believe it or not, how loud you speak. Some people tend to shout on speakerphone ( I know I do) and with the sensitive onstar mic, you can be heard with a whisper.

I am working on a way to add even more attenuation, but for now -24 is as low as it gets. A few other things to note:
1. The volume heard by the caller wont necessarily change as there is an ACG circuit in both the bluestar and the cell that tries to keep the volume at a fixed level. The distortion (caused by overdriving the mic front end) should be reduced and any robotic effect or muffled sounds should be eliminated.

2. This adjustment can also be made without the CPU program, by using the mirror buttons same as the volume adjust, only do this while on a call. You should hear beeps changing in pitch when in this mode. White button to lower the gain, Blue to Raise, RED to save.

Don't be afraid to go way down if needed.
MR. COSTAR
mrcostar
Site Admin

Postby cnauman » March 21st, 2011, 8:19 pm

Thanks for the tip for not having to do the adjustment with a PC, that will make it quick and easy.

I'll go ahead and put the other one back to "0".
cnauman

Return to BLUESTAR 2010