Ear piercing noise when ringing or talking

Ear piercing noise when ringing or talking

Postby rsgcbo54 » May 11th, 2012, 1:30 am

I purchased the Costar 2010 unit for my 2011 Corvette in January of this year. I had problems originally with volume, especially hearing a caller and I had problems with the phone not reconnecting to bluestar after turning the car off. I had to unplug the unit and plug it back in to get it to reconnect. That problem was intermittent. My next problem was it screeching very loudly when I would get a call. I adjusted the volume using the program utility and it worked ok for a while. I assume this is BES 11-0401

I updated to the latest beta software (BES 12-0302) about a month ago which helped with the disconnects. I adjusted the volume and it worked fine for a while. About two weeks ago, it started screeching again, even when it is ringing. Answer it and it just screeches; it is deafening. I have adjusted the volume down to practically nothing and it does not help. If I put the mic and speaker volume at -15 dB, it still screeches very loudly.

I put BES 11-0401 back on and the same thing is happening. Loud screeching anytime the phone connects. I am using a Motorola Droid 2. It works fine on many other systems.

What else can I try? I feel like i paid close to $300 for a paperweight.

One other thing regarding the site search engine. It seems what ever word or words I put in, it says that it is too common of a word. I know I have found a manual on here before, but I can't find a manual for the bluestar or the programming utilities. Hoping for an answer before I trash this thing and go back to a jabra unit that actually works.
rsgcbo54

Re: Ear piercing noise when ringing or talking

Postby rsgcbo54 » June 13th, 2012, 11:27 am

As a follow-up, I sent the BlueStar unit back to Costar. Chris installed a potentiometer which was to allow for infinite mic setttings and made some other changes to the board. I reinstalled the unit and tried making a call, which worked except for some static and a loud chirp on hang up. Later that day I received a call and the loud screeching was back, making the service unusable. I have tried all possible settings. The last setting I used was -23db for mic gain and output.

I have a portable jabra unit that works fine. I do not know what the problem is or how to proceed from here, but this unit is worthless to me. This is being used in a 2011 Corvette. Is anyone else having these problems?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
rsgcbo54

Re: Ear piercing noise when ringing or talking

Postby rsgcbo54 » June 14th, 2012, 12:26 am

After emails back and forth with Chris tonight, I have changed some settings and experimented again and now have acceptable service. I am still getting some kind of interference and I am not sure what that is from. I will try it on the road tomorrow and make minor adjustments as necessary. Thanks Chris, for hanging in there with me and helping me work through this problem.
rsgcbo54

Return to BLUESTAR 2010