A2DP Streaming **** BETA CODE ****

A2DP Streaming **** BETA CODE ****

Postby mrcostar » March 15th, 2012, 10:27 pm

OK, the time to shoot the engineers and let the code speak for itself has finally come.
Please use this thread for comments regarding the beta testing of this firmware only.

Please indicate phone, vehicle, and method of playing audio (ie aux input jack on radio, aux input adapter, FM modulator etc. ) when commenting. The more feedback and info, the better.

The attached .zip file includes programming files, and instructions.

Good luck!!!

A2DP.zip
A2DP program files and instructions.
(873.03 KiB) Downloaded 4398 times
MR. COSTAR
mrcostar
Site Admin

Re: A2DP Streaming **** BETA CODE ****

Postby glears » March 15th, 2012, 11:01 pm

In the instructions it refers to a hardware update for optimal sound quality. Does this change improve the outgoing sound quality the caller hears?
glears

Postby acommonjo » March 16th, 2012, 8:58 am

Phone: Samsung Captivate (AT&T)
Vehicle: 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Connection: Aux Input on Stock Radio
Notes:
Very happy to see that after this feature is finally seeing the light of day. Updated the firmware on my BlueStar unit last night and have taken a couple of trips since then. Upgrade was very simple. Start to finish the whole process only took a couple of minutes. My phone seems to connect to the BlueStar even quicker then it had before this Beta and hasn't had a problem dropping connection. I attempted a call first to make sure that feature was still functional; just called an automated system so I can't comment on the clarity for the other end of the connection, but it sounded good on my side.

As far as the A2DP feature goes; I was very pleased to be able to hear my music playing through the car stereo. The instructions already address this, but the sound quality was a little lacking. I had to push the volume up to be able to hear at a comfortable volume and there is a significant lack of bass coming through the system. These are two items that CostarTech already seems to be aware of though. As a first attempt at A2DP streaming, I'm happy. One less cable I'll need to plug into my phone each time I get into the car.

Beyond the low volume and lack of bass the only additional improvement I would request is use of the steering wheel controls for the A2DP playback. I was hoping that I would be able to skip forward and back through my playlists with the steering wheel controls, but they didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks for pushing this out to us. Let me know if you need any additional details or logs regarding my setup and/or experience to help you continue improving BlueStar.

***Update 2012-04-10***
Received my unit back from Costar-Tech with the hardware update completed. There is a very noticeable improvement in the streaming media quality. It comes across at a good level of volume and the lower bass tones are coming through too. Speaking with others via the phone connection sounds the same as it did prior to the upgrade on both ends of the call.

I did notice that the BlueStar connection cuts out immediately when I turn off the ignition now. Previously it would stay connected as long as my radio was on (about 10-15 minutes or until the doors are opened), but now the radio will remain on, but BlueStar disconnects. Not a major issue, but something unexpected.
Last edited by acommonjo on April 10th, 2012, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acommonjo

Postby mrcostar » March 16th, 2012, 9:20 am

acommonjo wrote:Beyond the low volume and lack of bass the only additional improvement I would request is use of the steering wheel controls for the A2DP playback. I was hoping that I would be able to skip forward and back through my playlists with the steering wheel controls, but they didn't seem to do anything.

Playback control utilizes a format called AVRCP. We actually have the capability to support this, but I have not implemented the steering wheel controls to do this yet.
I was worried that pressing the steering wheel buttons while streaming would effect to radio settings.
Let me know what you want to see here, and I will add that in. We can FF, REWIND, STOP and PLAY, these functions have all been tested and are functional, just not mapped to anything yet.

Along with A2DP, this rev includes lots of other changes to improve overall response.
Thanks for the report.
MR. COSTAR
mrcostar
Site Admin

Postby Boomer79 » March 16th, 2012, 11:52 am

The main feature I would be looking for would be the ability to skip songs. I have a Motorola Atrix and drive a 2008 Equinox Sport. In using the phone with a car dock as a GPS I would love the ability to make handsfree calls but also to be able to change tracks on my phone. If I order a unit now will I have the A2DP plus controls when new firmware is available? If so I'd order one today.
Boomer79

Postby acommonjo » March 16th, 2012, 12:21 pm

I agree with Boomer79 that Skip is the most common button I'd use. My steering wheel has 3-4 buttons that I think could be used; Up, Down, Talk, Skip. To initiate a call I have to Press and Hold the Talk button.

I think my preference would be to have the following:
Press Talk Button = Play/Pause
Hold Talk Button = Initiate a Call
Press Skip Button = Skip
Hold Skip = FF

In a perfect world the Up and Down buttons would signal Pandora to Thumbs Up/Down the current song too, but that is probably out of the range of what BlueStar can do.
acommonjo

Postby Boomer79 » March 20th, 2012, 8:59 am

acommonjo wrote:I agree with Boomer79 that Skip is the most common button I'd use. My steering wheel has 3-4 buttons that I think could be used; Up, Down, Talk, Skip. To initiate a call I have to Press and Hold the Talk button.

I think my preference would be to have the following:
Press Talk Button = Play/Pause
Hold Talk Button = Initiate a Call
Press Skip Button = Skip
Hold Skip = FF

In a perfect world the Up and Down buttons would signal Pandora to Thumbs Up/Down the current song too, but that is probably out of the range of what BlueStar can do.

If I purchase a Bluestar module from the Canadian Distributor will the A2DP streaming and future controls work with it or should I wait until modules can be updated?
Boomer79

Postby mrcostar » March 20th, 2012, 3:24 pm

This is BETA code and is not yet released into production.
If you want this out of the box, you should wait.
MR. COSTAR
mrcostar
Site Admin

Postby bwg80 » March 22nd, 2012, 4:26 pm

I have a BlackBerry Torch (for now)- would it make more sense to wait until I upgrade to new Bold before I update?

Also, I just received my BlueStar kit (just ordered the unit a few days ago). Would the audio enhancement already be done on the unit I received?
bwg80

Postby coyote » March 24th, 2012, 3:36 pm

I have a new BlueStar as of about a month ago. For the most part it has worked pretty well.

2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP.

I just tried updating to this A2DP beta and it flashes and communicates OK when the BlueStar is out of the vehicle. But as soon as I plug into the OnStar connectors, the unit powers on and the LED goes red/green for a few seconds, then to green as if I am linked up OK. I can see the status over USB at this point.

But as soon as I open the car door to get in the car (my OnStar is in the trunk) and give it a try, the LED on the mirror goes out. I then turn on the ignition and the LED comes on bright green for a brief second, then goes to a very dim green for a few seconds and then goes out and the BlueStar is non-functional - it will not even respond over USB at that point.

If I unplug it from the OnStar connectors and let it power-cycle, the same sequence occurs.

I've tried several times. I tried reflashing the CPU/init string/DSP but that does not seem to help.

At this point I am thinking I should flash back to a prior version of the firmware to get it working again, but I'm concerned that the version that was in the unit when I received it (CPU 11-1005) does not seem to be on the website, only an older rev (11-0401). And the DSP and init string code have been updated - will those newer versions work with the last posted rev of the CPU code?

help! I really love the BlueStar and don't want to lose it!
coyote

Next

Return to BLUESTAR 2010