BlueSTAR for 9-3 in development

BlueSTAR for the Saab 9-3 is currently in development

BlueSTAR for 9-3 in development

Postby keithwbloom » February 25th, 2012, 8:37 pm

I have taken aim on a compatible configuration for the late generation 9-3 (pre-2003 facelift). I have just completed a successful adaptation of the BlueSTAR for use in the VW Phaeton, Passat and Touareg. My goal is to dig into the module connections of a local 9-3 in the next few weeks. If anyone has a subject 9-3 in the Washington, DC area available for some inspection and wire mapping, it could lead to the first 9-3 BlueSTAR installation in very short order. Else I will have to ply a local dealer for an extended test drive of a 2002 9-3 in order to root around for an hour so in the boot.

If you are interested, please feel free to contact me via email at keith at keithbloom dot com.

Regards,

Keith Bloom
keithwbloom

Re: BlueSTAR for 9-3 in development

Postby nohj666 » May 9th, 2012, 11:42 pm

I would be interested in a bluestar for 2003-2006 saab 9-3 (that have the useless onstar connector in the trunk) Here is a chart of the connector from the original onstar box:

http://img.inkfrog.com/click_nelarge1.o ... =603918726

If this ever becomes a reality I would def be interested. thanks.
nohj666

Postby keithwbloom » May 21st, 2012, 6:53 pm

I appreciate your willingness to help, it is in fact very welcome. It is not the pin outs of the OnStar that I am most concerned about, the functionality of the analog OnStar systems does not vary greatly from marque to marque because they are mostly the same, widget-wise. It is the adaptation to the controller signals that I am most concerned about in the SAABs equipped with the optical loop bus. From my understanding, the optical loop bus is sort of like a token ring network, and the continuity of the ring is important (hence the descriptive "loop" in its moniker).

In scenarios where I have read about the OnStar system being deleted from 2003-2006 9-3s (because it went dark), I have learned that there needs to be a loop "repeater/relay" installed in its place to preserve the network connectivity for everything else on the bus. In each account I reviewed, I heard no telling of any other harness connection to the OnStar that led me to believe there were hardwired connections from the OnStar module to the head unit or button controller, both of which my adaptation in VW/Audi and Acura installations use to piggyback on or hijack completely. If the new 9-3s have used a series of purpose built transponders on the optical loop to send and receive signals and/or data from the systems peripherals (mic, buttons, head unit input) then unfortunately the adaptation is a non-starter. I just don't have any means or resources at my disposal to tinker my way through a solution that could work in such an environment.

If my reasoning is not accurate, and you have some insight to the actual landscape that would be of help, I am more than happy to work with you to try to find a solution based on BlueSTAR for the new 9-3 and other SAABs with similar network technology.

I would like to close with the observation that the previous generation 9-3 that does not have the optical loop bus is more compatible on paper with the present adaptation of the BlueSTAR for non-GM vehicles.
keithwbloom

Postby harrislittle » September 11th, 2012, 10:59 am

I have a 2003 9-3 Convertible and am interested in the adaptation of this product. While reading the previous post I'm not sure which "generation' 9-3 I have.
Can you offer any info as to whether I would have the onstar unit that is most compatible with bluestar?
Thanks
harrislittle

Postby dig » October 23rd, 2012, 1:04 pm

Any update on 2002 9-3?
dig

Postby roland » November 3rd, 2012, 6:08 pm

I would be interested in adapting my 03 Saab 9-5. I am happy to provide you with as much info as I can or you are welcome to have a look at the vehicle if you need to put a scope on it or otherwise sniff at the network. I am located in the Boston area and can come to NYC as needed
roland

Postby ss1248 » November 4th, 2012, 10:41 am

Hi - I'm in Baltimore, and I have a 2008 9-5. Would that be of any help in terms of developing Bluestar integration for SAAB? Thanks!
ss1248

Postby JoeVaturbo » February 17th, 2013, 10:03 am

keithwbloom

It great to have someone looking into this. Have you had any success with the adaption of bluetooth in a 9-3?
JoeVaturbo

Postby joegugs » March 8th, 2013, 4:02 pm

I would be interested in this for my 08 SAAB 9-3 Convertible.... Is there an update on a Saab 9-3 Compatible version
joegugs

Postby ryandeo » September 3rd, 2013, 1:40 pm

Has there been any progress on this? I've been looking for a solution for some time now.
ryandeo

Next

Return to 9-3