2008 GMC Yukon Denali

2008 GMC Yukon Denali

Postby fostbt » June 11th, 2011, 3:31 pm

I installed a Bluestar unit today in my 2008 GMC Yukon Denali. I tried to document the process that I went through in case if offers any assistance to someone else in the future.

I started by very carefully removing the trim panel from around the radio:

Next I unscrewed the environmental controls and removed/disconnected the radio. This left me with quite a rats nest of wires. You can see the Onstar unit circled in red (it was labled Continental).

The J1 & J2 wires that need to go to the Bluestar unit were off the back side of the unit and were not easily accessible from the front. I decided to see if i could get to the back of the unit from a different angle. I saw there was a a little panel down by the gas pedal:

I removed the panel and was able to see the back of the Onstar unit:

The problem was I couldn't really get my hand back there to disconnect the wires. I ended up removing the metal bracket which gave me alot more room to work:

Here you can kind of see where the Onstar unit was:

Even after removing the bracket it was still a little difficult to get the J1 & J2 cables unplugged. I ended up having to use one hand going through the dash, and my other hand from behind. After a little bit of effort I was able to get them unplugged. There was plenty of slack to pull the cables down a little bit and plug them into the Bluestar unit.

After it was all setup I placed a call to my cell phone and immediately saw the notification on the DIC display:

There wasn't really anything displayed on the radio itself except the blue Onstar logo.

This ended up taking about 30 minutes to do. I like having the Bluestar unit down by the access panel by the gas pedal as it offers very easy access to the USB port.
fostbt

Re: 2008 GMC Yukon Denali

Postby ww2birds » August 29th, 2011, 11:38 pm

Just followed your instructional post to do an install in my 2007 Yukon Denali .. thanks SO much for taking the time to post this, it was just as you described .. quick + easy. I did buy a specialized hard plastic pry tool via amazon to make sure I did not run the faux wood trim ring!

The unit works beautifully...

Dave
ww2birds

Postby mrcostar » September 5th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Awesome write up!!!
Thanks for taking the time to do this.
MR. COSTAR
mrcostar
Site Admin

Postby emthomas » November 30th, 2011, 9:59 pm

Excellent job posting your installation technique and the details. I will be installing mine in the next week or so and your input should make it a breeze. thanks :D
emthomas

Postby whmcgrath » December 30th, 2011, 4:49 pm

I just installed the Bluestar 2010 in my 2007 Yukon. I was able to unplug the J1 and J2 wire from the back so removinge the radio was not necessary. The problem is that the Bluestar unit does not appear to be working and the light does not come on. Did I miss a step?
whmcgrath

Postby whmcgrath » January 17th, 2012, 7:53 pm

I found that in the 2007-2008 Yukon it is not necessary to remove your radio. I was able to access the J1 and J2 plug by removing the plate next to the gas pedal and going in behind the radio. It took 10 minutes tops.
whmcgrath

Postby Brandon Lee Vogue » July 4th, 2012, 3:05 am

fostbt wrote:I installed a Bluestar unit today in my 2008 GMC Yukon Denali. I tried to document the process that I went through in case if offers any assistance to someone else in the future.

I started by very carefully removing the trim panel from around the radio:

Next I unscrewed the environmental controls and removed/disconnected the radio. This left me with quite a rats nest of wires. You can see the Onstar unit circled in red (it was labled Continental).

The J1 & J2 wires that need to go to the Bluestar unit were off the back side of the unit and were not easily accessible from the front. I decided to see if i could get to the back of the unit from a different angle. I saw there was a a little panel down by the gas pedal:

I removed the panel and was able to see the back of the Onstar unit:

The problem was I couldn't really get my hand back there to disconnect the wires. I ended up removing the metal bracket which gave me alot more room to work:

Here you can kind of see where the Onstar unit was:

Even after removing the bracket it was still a little difficult to get the J1 & J2 cables unplugged. GMC truck accessories are awesome. I ended up having to use one hand going through the dash, and my other hand from behind. After a little bit of effort I was able to get them unplugged. There was plenty of slack to pull the cables down a little bit and plug them into the Bluestar unit.

After it was all setup I placed a call to my cell phone and immediately saw the notification on the DIC display:

There wasn't really anything displayed on the radio itself except the blue Onstar logo.

This ended up taking about 30 minutes to do. I like having the Bluestar unit down by the access panel by the gas pedal as it offers very easy access to the USB port.

hi there! I know that my post here is too late and I do apologize for that! I'm interested at the topic here! Just want to give compliment to you for dong a great job. Each photos showed the installation process. And how much do you spent for this bluestar unit? Cheers! :D
Brandon Lee Vogue

Postby jeaton » September 1st, 2012, 11:55 am

Thanks for all of that help. I couldn't get one of the connectors out without removing the radio. Once out I used a right angle screwdriver in my right hand to press down on the release tab and pulled the connector out by the wires with my left. Hope that helps anyone else with big hands trying this installation. Mne is a 2007.
jeaton

Postby sabarker » September 7th, 2012, 9:36 am

whmcgrath wrote:I found that in the 2007-2008 Yukon it is not necessary to remove your radio. I was able to access the J1 and J2 plug by removing the plate next to the gas pedal and going in behind the radio. It took 10 minutes tops.

I'm trying to do this in my '07 Denali, but I can't find my Onstar unit behind that panel...
sabarker

Postby Jaygabs » October 9th, 2012, 8:13 pm

Thank you for the great post! I just installed it in my 08 Yukon with no issue and I did not have to remove the front at all. I took off both plastic trim pieces and the metal bracket. I then pushed the release pin on top of the white connector down with my fingers and put a flathead screwdriver underneath the bottom lip of the connector to pry as I pushed the top. Took me about 20 minutes to figure out that method, but it worked on both connectors. NOTE J1 and J2 connectors are the furthest two connectors.

I just want to take a second to sing the praises of this device. So many things today do not work as advertised or just disappoint. The Bluestar does exactly what it says, works immediately, works with Siri, and integrates with the steering wheel voice control button. It exceeded expectations in every way and is truly a great solution for Bluetooth in your vehicle, thanks costar!
Jaygabs

Next

Return to Yukon