2008 GMC Yukon Denali

Re: 2008 GMC Yukon Denali

Postby Awanichek » February 25th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Agreed. No need to pull the dash apart for the install on 2007-current Yukon/Tahoe. Just pull off the 2 plastic covers next to the gas pedal. Remove the metal bracket(3 13mm screws). You can now access the back of the onstar unit. Remove the 2 white plugs(not the black one). I accomplished this by using a long pair of needle nose pliers to grip the wires at the back of each plug, then using my other hand to push down the plug clip on the top of each connector. Super simple install once I thought to use the pliers.
FYI- before you install the costar unit, plug it into your computer to turn on "A2DP"
Awanichek

Postby flenn » February 28th, 2013, 9:37 am

Just want to chime in quickly. This is the best thread for anyone with a Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban on how to install the Bluestar unit. While waiting for mine to arrive, I googled/searched how to install in my Yukon XL and this was hand's down the best info. Thanks to OP for pictures and detailed installation information. After reading that some others were able to install without removing the front components, I knew that I would try this first. Well, it took me more time to find the proper tools than it did to actually install the Bluestar. One poster said 10 minutes, and that really is accurate. Here's my 2 cents:

1) Taking the trim piece off near the foot pedal feels like you're going to break it. Just try to grab from in back (near the clips) and pull/wiggle until it lets go.
2) Taking off the metal bracket is straightforward.
3) Get a flashlight and position it out of the way so that you can reach in. You should be able to see J1 and J2 easily. Grab the wire harness and pull it out of your way so that you can get a direct shot at the connectors. There should be plenty of slack.
4) Here's where I lost time: I found a 12" gasket scraper type tool to reach in and get the blade between the connectors and Onstar unit. It worked great although I'm certain that any large blade flathead screwdriver would work. Twisting the tool will pry the connector out, only problem is that you have to press down on the top of the connector while prying. I spent the next 20 minutes or so looking for a right angle tool to press down. It was difficult using two tools at the same time from in back and I just couldn't find anything that could press down effectively. Then, in a fit of frustration, I tried to reach in there with my hand while twisting the tool. It worked like a charm! Should have done that 20 minutes ago! Both connectors came right out and the install was simple. My hands are not huge, but they're not small. I would think most anyone can get their hands in there, even though it may not look like it.

Anyway, just letting you guys know that you should be able to do the entire install from the back (don't remove the radio, hvac, etc.) and it should go pretty quickly. Good luck!
flenn

Postby Skybolt260 » March 21st, 2015, 12:43 pm

[quote][I am in the process of installing your BlueStar II in my 2008 Yukon Denali. My Onstar unit had three sockets, two white and one gray, in use plus two antenna connections. The J1 & J2 transfer fine. The gray connector with a Red/black, a Red and a uninsulated ground was plugged into J3 NOT J4 as per your instructions. I do not know what to do with it. My J1 cable already has a green wire on Pen1-J1. Also I did not receive the jumper wire for a J3 connection to Pen1 on J1 in my order. I can overcome the missing jumper if I know what to jump where.
Need a little help please. I have my truck all apart/quote]
I sent this information to Costar no expecting an answer anytime soon, Saturday and all. In the time it took for my to register in this forum I had a response fro Costar Tech! He said disregard the J3 connection, unplug it from the Onstar or leave it plugged in. Doesn't matter.
I went on and finished this post so that it might help someone else with and install AND to put down all ranting the disgruntled buyer posted about his mess with his previously altered vehicle.
Thanks Costar!!!!!
Skybolt260

Previous

Return to Yukon