2010 Terrain

2010 Terrain

Postby omgoozles » October 28th, 2011, 8:36 pm

This was quite a pain in the ass for me. I'm very technically savvy, specifically with computers...but in general as well. I finally found it with the help of the guide for the 2010 equinox on this forum. He's a little vague though, so I figured I'd come on here and add a few comments to his stuff.

VCIM module is attached right above the accelerator pedal within the dash. It's actually bolted to the side of a metal plate inside the dash.

start by removing 3 screw holding in the dash plate under the steering column
pull forward on the front dash cover to release.

lower cover is attached with two push-in clips in the front. 1 metric 10 bolt in the back and two expansion plugs on the right side
the expansion plus are two parts look for a small notch in the exposed plug the remove the inside core of the plug and once that is remove the remainder of the plug should be removable easily.
once the first plug is removed you will see the second plug just behind the first one.

once the bottom plate is removed I also recommend you remove the metal plate from below the steering wheel with the 4 metric 10 bolts

once you have all these covers removed you should see the VCIM right above the accelerator pedal. it is the device with the two thick antenna wires. One red and one blue.

it is impossible to get to the connectors without removing the module from this bracket. there are only two metric 10 bolts that hold the device in place and both are visible and but not that easy to get to without the correct tool!
once those bolt are remove the VCIM should slide right out without any major issues. you can remove the two antenna wires by inserting a flathead screw drive into the locking device and pull. the red and blue connectors are simple to remove by pushing in the locking clip. you can wrap up the antenna wires and put aside. the vcim does not need to go back in the car.
attach the red and blue connector to the bluestar and wiretie the device to the center console post with the USB connector facing forward and down so when you put everything back together you will have access to the plug. I plugged a long Mini USB cable into the BlueStar and left it connected. Once I re-attached all the pieces of the dash I removed, I just kinda stuffed the USB cable behind the dash, but not so far that I can't just reach in with my fingers and gently pull it out (if i ever need to do an upgrade).

reverse the removal of the metal plate, lower cover and upper cover.

I'm hoping I will love this module. I have one problem as of right now with the bluetooth not automatically re-pairing with my phone when I start the car. I have to manually go into the Bluetooth settings on my phone to repair everytime. But that's for another forum thread.
omgoozles

Return to Terrain