My Installation Experience- 2008 Suburban

My Installation Experience- 2008 Suburban

Postby bking » February 3rd, 2012, 2:31 pm

The installation went pretty smooth, especially with the help of Chris at Costar. There is a video on youtube that also gave me some good information. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkoglsnQMvo

A few tips:
- It was easiest for me to remove the trim around the radio, AC, power acc by starting from the top middle and working around. I used a plastic putty knife which helped to not mark up the trim or dash.
- You must remove all components including the radio, to get to and remove the Onstar module. The AC and power acc have enough slack in the cables that you don't need to unplug them, just move out of the way. When removing the radio, I did unplug and take out, make sure to record where the connectors plug in the back. Two of them are not keyed and the last connection slot (in middle of unit) has no connection (at least on my Bose only, no GPS, head unit)
- When taking out the Onstar module, the two small round connectors (antenna) are no longer needed, I simply taped them together and tucked away. Watch the youtube video for tips on getting the antenna unplugged, its a little tricky, there are tabs on the top of each the connectors, you have to clear before it will unplug.
- The white connector cables from the Onstar module were a little short and made it difficult to pull out completely. Pull it out as far as you can, the release tab is on the top of the connectors, just get a flat blade on them, and pull, to release.
- I plugged the BlueStar in and attached it to the bottom tray with some velcro, should hold it in place.
- I recommend also plugging in a usb cable permanently and running it out the back side so that if you need to make adjustments (you will- see next tip) or upgrades, you don't have to pull the dash apart again. I pulled it out the driver side and tucked it under the dash to the front, around under to the passenger side. Well hidden, and accessible if needed.
- Once installed, my listeners reported that I sounded like I was "underwater". Chris suggested that I connect the BlueStar to my computer via usb cable, download the CoStar Programing Utility and turn the Microphone Gain all the way down. I did that, and all is well.

I've had it installed for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. It works as advertised and is very much like a factory installed component. I have built in bluetooth in my Honda Accord, and this has the same functionality as that. Simply put, it works just like you think it should. Thanks to Chris for all his help!
bking

Return to Suburban